Saturday, May 16, 2009

3 Layer Tea

I'm taking a break from the books, though I probably don't deserve it, since I spent the whole day obsessing over Grey's Anatomy's Season 5 finale, screeching "omg george dah mati izzie pon! they actually died!" to anyone who would listen...




I remember my second first day of school as if it was yesterday. I had moved from Batu Pahat, Johor to Sydney, a move that I never really realised as life changing, until I grew much older.

So there I was. Standing in the office of my new primary school, looking at my mother signing all sorts of documents, while fidgeting and biting my finger nails [a habit I have ceased to continue tyvm]. My first impression, Camdenville Public School was a lot different from Sekolah Kebangsaan Temenggung Ibrahim.

I was sent to my classroom by the bubbly office lady, whose name I have sadly forgotten. I was put in Year 1 Purple. As I entered the class, I could feel everyone's eyes glaring at me, almost, burning my skin with the sheer intensity. I was scared, and my eyes began to water immediately. I turned around, looked at my mother, and though I said no word whatsoever, I knew my mother could hear my screams of "mak! alang nak balik malaysia!". Then, Miss Elizabeth gave me a snack-sized Sneakers chocolate bar. And the kids whom I had mere minutes ago feared, came nearer to me with honest smiles. I knew at that exact instance, the years to come would be great.

That day, I went back home feeling happy. Leaving Malaysia did not seem so horrible after all. As I entered my house, I heard the laughter of children coming from across my house. Unbeknownst by them, I peeped through their gate and saw 4 kids. I immediately recognised one of them. She was in my school, and we were in the same year, though not in the same class. Soon, she became my best childhood friend.

Over the next few years, we did everything together. We were more than friends, we were neighbours and almost family in fact. I remember those silly memories, when we would play with teddy bears, for hours at times, and sing out loud the latest Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys or B*Witched tunes. We even built our own "clubhouse" using bedsheets and boxes in the Tafe College across the road.

Years had passed, and the time I had dreaded arrived. Our time in Sydney had come to an end, and Malaysia was calling, forcing us to return. Though I had stopped school a week earlier, I begged my father to allow me to got to the school prom or "disco" as they called it. Julie's sister, Mimi, picked me up from the temporary place I was staying, while waiting for my flight the next day.

At the school prom/disco, I remember my Year 2 teacher, Miss Annette, telling me "when you first came here, I remembered that you were dying to go back to Malaysia, and now, you're literally begging to stay..."

I met Julie for the last time that night. We promised to keep in touch, and be best friends no matter what.

But an ocean away proved too far a distant for us. 2 letters. That was all the contact we had since that night. 2 short, letters...




...





It has been 9 years since I left Sydney. I am glad to say that I have adapted well, though it hasn't been a smooth journey. I have since started a new life. I am a Malay. A Malaysian. And what happened 9 years ago seems like an unrealistic dream, almost fantasy-like.

But you know what, though I'm not a firm believer of miracles or fate, I must say, what happened last year was unbelievable, and nothing short of a [forgive me for being cliche] miracle.

...

I found Julie on Facebook. Yes, I found my best childhood friend on Facebook. And we now keep in touch every now and then.

It's amazing how much she has grown, which made me realise how much I have grown... But it's even more amazing that 9 years after, I actually found her...




Suddenly those dreams seem real after all...



Don't get me wrong...
I'm not being sentimental. I actually do have a point.

I'm not proud of it, but I'll be the first to admit that I do have a tendency of losing friends. Friends who were close to me, and whom I loved.



Though as so it may be, Julie is solid proof, that as easy as it is for me to lose a friend, I can also find him/her back.







I have faith in you. And I have faith in us. You know me, and for me to have "faith" is a, dare I say it, miracle. You're right, it's no one's fault. We just, went in different directions, and lost each other in the process. I miss you. You're my friend, and my family, and of course I love you.


I'll keep searching for you, till God, or whatever force that led me to you...

Guides me back to you.



Good night, Shad.

p/s: Kris Allen, you rock. I love you. Please win.

4 comments:

Lynette Tan said...

so great that you finally found her :) my friend migrated to UK when i was in form 2. We kept in touch until last year. Whenever she comes back, she calls me and we'll go out.

Sadly, people change. And she was just influencing me to be something im not. Oh well.

Take care :)

gay or not gay said...

Kris Allen did not deserved to won!With all that religion and sexuality comments he gave out shows us what IDOL we have!Its all suppose to be love towards music,LAMBERT&GECKO ROCK!

Irshad K.J said...

i don't think they didn't choose lambert because he's gay or whatev.

it's because he sounds like a raccoon being raped. and come on. let's be honest. who would ever buy his rock-kapak so last century music.

and kris, is hhhhhhh-ooot.

Anonymous said...

UTUTUTUTUTUTUTUTUTUT